flickr

www.flickr.com

12 April, 2008

Car Bling

I have often fantasized about getting one of those scrolling LED message boards for my dashboard. I wanted to make it say "55 MPH" and have it in mirror writing so that the idiot tourists (darn Canadians) will know that the speed limit on Avalon is not, in fact, 35-45 MPH.

We recently saw such a product in Target, actually designed for cars, but it didn't seem to have a backwards text option. And in that case, what's really the point? I could put it on the back window, but I don't really care how slowly the people behind me are driving!

Last night on my way home from work, I was driving behind a car with one of these (in red... but the car was blue, so this one would have looked much better!). The message he chose to display? "I HATE HUMAN POPULATION." I called Scott to tell him about my find and we had a good laugh over the message.

Really? You're going to pay $30 to put that message on the back of your car? I can see the traditional "mean people suck" or a nice personal "I hate ," but to just write off the entire human race in one poorly phrased message to the world? Seems a little harsh to me!

If I had one of these, and that's not a hint - apparently they have to be wired into the car and I don't have that kind of know-how, I think I would make it say something friendly like, "hello car behind me," or "thanks for reading my message." I'm sure my mother would go with "Jesus loves you," but that's only going to make people say mean things about Jesus when she's driving slowly in front of them!

What would you choose to display to the world?

2 comments:

Janette said...

Wow, that is a lot of hate. I can only assume that a character limit is responsible for the poorly turned phrase.

As for my message how about:

"You just missed your turn."

"Hang up and drive!"

"Only speeding because I really have to pee."

Anonymous said...

MINE would say, "My kid thinks I drive too slow ... what do YOU think? PS Jesus loves you."