flickr

www.flickr.com

26 April, 2008

If You Squint and Turn Your Head Just So...


Interesting picture, no?

Who wouldn't love a picture of my camera, the back side of one arm, and my forehead with my beautiful orange shower curtain in the background?

So can you see what the focus of the picture was supposed to be?

About an inch above and to the right of the flash on the camera, there's a colorful red and purple line on my arm. That line represents possibly the strangest workplace injury I've ever gotten.

It's not a scratch, by the way, it's a very long bruise. It's also deep - I can feel it when I type letters far away from the jkl; - seriously.

So back to the wound. I got it from just being stupid. I was talking to Number Two and sat (ok, it was really more of a flop) down in my chair. But the chair was pushed back further than I was expecting it to be and my arm rammed down onto the manual feed tray of the printer that's right behind my desk. (you can see the printer - with the tray smartly kept in the upright position - in this file photo from the day the new office furniture came in) I hit the tray with so much force that I was pretty shocked it didn't just break off. Unfortunately, the back of my arm absorbed all of that energy instead.

About an hour before I left work, I saw the full extent in the bathroom mirror. Up until that point, I thought it was a little scrape and a goose egg. Somehow seeing the "giant gash that's got to be 6 or 8 inches long" (which is what I told Scott) made it hurt even worse. It was also a weird combination of pure white surrounded by angry pink that freaked me out. Now that it's pink and purple, I'm more sure that the arm won't need to be amputated!

Over the next few days, I'll keep an eye on it. I reserve the right to take more weird photos if the bruise turns any interesting colors, or spreads across more surface area. Also, I plan to be pretty diligent about keeping that tray in its upright and locked position when not in use.

2 comments:

Janette said...

Ouch! I bet it's a pretty purple now.

Anonymous said...

OW!