flickr

www.flickr.com

20 April, 2008

Delta Force

On Thursday, Number Two was unpacking some new and exciting additions to our Cordial List - mostly ports way older than I am. He pulled out a bottle and showed it to me. He was marveling that it was tiny - 3/4 the size of a regular wine bottle - and trying to do the mental math on what we would be charging for a glass ($110 for 3 oz.). I saw the label and had to ask, "We're selling a port called Delta Force?" That didn't seem too classy to me!

So Number Two laughed and started humming the theme to Delta Force (which sounded an awful lot like the A-Team theme...). I made the joke that Scott would probably buy it based on the name alone.

When I repeated the story to Scott, he agreed until he heard the price, and then asked if the label had a picture of Chuck Norris with a knife in his teeth. I told him the bottle was from 1944, so no picture.

Over Thursday and Friday, I had conversations with multiple people about the Delta Force port. Mostly, the conversations were just passing musings with the servers - things like, "let me know if you sell any Delta Force!" And Number Two and I continued the Chuck Norris jokes.

This afternoon, The Boss asked me to print up the new cordial lists. Imagine my dismay when I saw DeLa Force on there!


Sorry, couldn't find a 1944 label image... but the logo looks just the same!

I'm not sure how many people there think I'm "extra special" now. I certainly feel like I've made a great case for the late-twenties onset of any number of learning disabilities!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Port is a weird thing to like. I remember port drinkers from my "lobby" days there. They want a glass of 1965 blah blah blah, and don't want the bottle to have been open for more than a day. A bartendender at the "cigar bar" told me to tell the guest that if he wanted a fresh bottle, he'd have to pay for the unsold portions in the opened one.

I didn't repeat that to the guest!

But they are weird people.