flickr

www.flickr.com

20 April, 2008

Untitled because all I want to say is a string of profanity

I am incredibly disappointed - maybe angry - maybe even furious right now. I'm mad at my state government. I'm mad at the US government. I'm mad at foreign governments. I'm mad at the politicians, the media, the gas companies, and even some people I know personally (but this isn't the proper forum for the latter).

Why am I mad? Let's take a little journey through various current events. That should shed some light.

Let's start with John McCain. I figure since I'm an Obama supporter, no one will really take my opinions on his likely November opponent very seriously and it's best to just get it over with. This is why I'm mad at John McCain:

Barack Obama's foreign policy plans have even won him praise from Hamas leaders,” writes McCain deputy campaign manager Christian Ferry. “Ahmed Yousef, chief political adviser to the Hamas Prime Minister said, ‘We like Mr. Obama and we hope he will win the election. He has a vision to change America.’”


Apparently McCain's campaign is already in crisis mode, and needed to start slinging the mud early. So much for a clean campaign!

Since we're talking about our enemies, let's jump over to Iran, where President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says oil priced at $115 a barrel is too low. Wow. So yeah, I'm mad at him, but it's really amazing how short-sighted the leaders of this country have been for the past 30 or so years. One would think that after the gas crisis in the 1970's, we would have made finding an alternative energy source (or an alternative engine) a major priority. Here we are again 30 years later, consuming more gas than ever, dependent on our sworn enemies for our livelihood.

Who let that happen?

So in addition to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, I'm also angry at every president from Carter to Bush II. I'm also angry at every Senator (except John Glenn - because he was an astronaut and that buys him immunity) who has served in the past 30 years. Why not the House of Representatives? Well I'm mad at them for something else entirely:

NOTE: The next section comes from an Orlando Sentinel Editorial (which I disagree with). I couldn't find an actual news article to go along with it. Even entering the phrase "Haiti debt relief" into the cnn.com search bar does not bring up the story. And for that reason, I'm angry at the media.

The U.S. House made a compassionate and smart move last week in voting to speed up desperately needed debt relief to Haiti.

A sharp rise in food prices worldwide has deepened hunger, provoked riots and shaken the government in Haiti, the hemisphere's poorest country.

The relief for Haiti, added to a broader measure by South Florida Democrat Alcee Hastings, would let the country divert more of its meager revenues from loan repayments to feeding its people.Without help, Haiti could fall back into chaos and create a humanitarian and security burden on the U.S. doorstep.

The entire relief measure, aiding two dozen countries, would cost each American about $2. Now the Senate and the president need to follow the House's lead.



I'd rather have the $2. Quite frankly, if Haiti isn't willing to take care of itself, and is going to continue to need us to bail it out again and again, then maybe they should find another country to mooch off of. Give them the fish and they'll eat for a day. Teach them to fish, and maybe some day we'll get our money back!

As if I needed another reason to be counting the days until GWB gets booted back to Crawford, he's just decided to give $200 million to hungry people in other countries. You know what? We're not the biggest, richest country on the block any more. Why are we still bailing out everyone else while our economy implodes? The dollar is so weak against foreign currencies that our $200 million really doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. The UN says they need about $500 million. So why not get $50 million from 10 countries? C'mon... that's how much Barack Obama has in his war chest right now. SURELY there's someone else out there who can shoulder the bulk of this burden. I'm pretty sure I could find plenty of hungry people right here in this country who could use that $200 million as well.

Here in Florida, it seems all of the state-run and state-funded agencies are going to have less money in their budgets next year. Why? Because the selfish A-hole home owners in the state all followed Charlie Crist's example and voted "yes on one" in January. (yep...I voted no... and I said at the time that this was going to happen...and Janette even agreed with me - in retrospect, a sure sign of the apocalypse!) So I'm angry at the majority of Floridian voters.

I'm also angry at our state legislature, who has recently decided that rather that attempt to come up with a state budget that makes sense, they are going to debate whether it's obscene to hang metal bull's balls on the back of your pick-up truck. Take heart, children of Florida. Perhaps the $60 fine for dangling fake testes will cover your education expenses, or the repairs of the roads you use to get to school, or the police, fire, and other emergency services that keep you safe. It's certainly not going to be property tax paying for those things. Home owners just don't care about you.

I am bitterly disappointed in everyone I have ever voted for who has a part in this ridiculous charade of government "for the people." I wish I didn't have to search for un-linked-to stories about where our tax money is going. Those things should be up front on every newspaper and news web site. Hold our law makers accountable for how they spend our tax money. Scott and I paid $6,444 in taxes for 2007. We live responsibly, within our means, and we expect our government to do the same. I want to know how MY tax money is being spent. I want someone to look me in the eye and tell me that $2 went to Haiti, and $x went to support our troops who are in the middle of a civil war caused by our invasion of a sovereign nation, and $y went to subsidies for farmers growing corn for ethanol instead of food. And damnit, I want someone to apologize for being so damned irresponsible. And then I want someone to step up and fix it.

I'm not smart enough, educated enough, or informed enough to do it myself. But I care, which I think is probably more than we can say for most of the people running our country.

2 comments:

Janette said...

I'm bitterly disappointed in politics, period. Am attempting to give it up completely. Probably best for my sanity and those around me.

Janette said...

Oh and for the record, I agree with about 98% of what you wrote (we could quibble on some of the finer points).

That cold breeze blowing up from Hell feels rather refreshing, doesn't it?