flickr

www.flickr.com

21 August, 2006

potLUCK

Wow... my lucky streak continues. First we got a free leather loveseat delivered to our door (more on that another time), and then I walked smack into a pot luck at work today. I feel bad, since the chefs sorta forgot to tell me about it until today and I didn't make anything. Of course, what could I have possibly made to compare with the stuff that the chefs of a 5-star restaurant bring to a pot luck??

Oh, the pork stir fry... the home made 3-bean salad... the hot, fresh empanadas... the scalloped potatoes... the flank steak... the bruschetta...

...the heartburn!

Actually, I blame the heartburn on the grilled cheese I had for lunch. And considering all of the options there, I didn't have that much. Only half of a plate of food. Of course, later on my favorie sous chef brought me another menu item to taste. This time I got to try the "gorgonzola potato crouton" that the filet is served on top of. It was quite tasty - small enough to fit on a bread & butter plate, but the biggest crouton I've ever seen! Basically it's mashed potatoes with cheese in the center deep fried. Of course, gorgonzola is an awful lot like blue cheese, which I hate (they fall into the "stinky feet cheese" category). And even though I wouldn't order one as an appetizer in another restaurant, I can totally appreciate how amazingly well it would compliment a nice Angus filet.

Scott says I don't deserve my job, because I didn't expect gorgonzola to taste like stinky feet. I think he's half right. Sure, I'm no foodie. I openly admit that. But although I don't know a lot about food, I do love food, and I love learning about it and watching how the kitchen is run (I'm pretty sure the Chef touches every plate before it goes out in the dining room). I really like supporting a restaurant.

I've tried writing a closing paragraph three times now. I didn't mean to get all philosophical about my job. I really just wanted to brag about the pot luck. I think I need to go to bed. I woke up early this morning... I think I deserve it.

2 comments:

Janette said...

If you're lucky enough to work in a restaurant with a well run kitchen and a talented and professional chef you'll never forget the experience. The restaurant business is like no other and when there's good chemistry in the kitchen it's a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

I feel you PAIN! Being the cheese lovers that we are, it's a TRAGEDY the first time you bite into something and find out that gorganzola is just bleu cheese on steroids! I don't perceive as stinky feet as much as Pine Sol being used to disguise the smell of stinky feet!