flickr

www.flickr.com

26 August, 2006

Weekend Assignment

Weekend Assignment #126: What is the most interesting thing about where you live? "Thing" in this case would be a famous landmark, a famous current celebrity or historical personage from your home town or county, a notable celebration or sports event -- basically, anything that makes where you're from interesting and unique.

While the actual town I call home isn't famous for much of anything, you don't have to go far to be swept up in a little bit of magic, a little bit of tacky, and a whole lot of tourists. I live 10 miles from Walt Disney World, and every day I drive past some of the most ridiculous landmarks around (turn left at the giant wizard? it works!).
These pictures, though not my own, are all of shops that I pass on my way to work. They are on Route 192 in Kissimmee, west of WDW. 192 is the Route 66 of Central Florida. This is where you go for generic "Florida" merchandise like beach towels and shot glasses and bags of oranges to mail home. I've lived up this way for 5 years, and have never set foot inside any of these crazy gift shops. Why? I guess I just don't need 5 t-shirts for 5 bucks!

Most of these icons have been around since the early days of Disney. Nowadays, the tourist-centric places are painted with waving US Flags and favor big LED signs to crazy sculpted entrances.

So in closing, I guess the "most interesting thing" about where I live is that it's the most popular tourist destination on the planet. I think that's pretty interesting!

Extra Credit: Are there any books that feature your home town (or someplace nearby) in any way?

Hahaha.... this one is just too easy! Here's a short list on amazon.com. Of course, the long list has 208 titles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my journal. I knew I had to come over here when I saw your name. (Actually, what I'd thought was, "All right, who's the Les Mis fan?" )

Anonymous said...

I love the name of your city.. Very cute.. Do people kiss a lot in public? Julie http://journals.aol.com/coelha/CoelhaThoughts/