flickr

www.flickr.com

18 April, 2007

Money Money

This month so far has sucked for us financially.

Actually, the past week has sucked. Three out of the past five account activities in our joint checking account have been major withdrawals - $400+ for my car repairs, $700+ for rent, and $300+ for our tax payment. Not to mention the hunk of cash Scott paid for his wisdom teeth. (can someone please explain to me why the insurance company won't pay for IV sedation? sheesh!) That expense, however, came out of his FSA card, and doesn't impact our day-to-day spending. Plus, we have about $300 in bills coming out of the account on Thursday. Eek!

We also had money in a 9-month certificate that ended about a week ago. I forgot to move the money back to savings in time, and now it's in a 6-month certificate. Oh well, it's available if we absolutely need it, and it's out of reach of my sticky fingers. That's probably for the best.

So yeah, taxes this year turned out to be quite the project. Scott sold some of his ESPP stock last year, and the free file version of Turbo Tax isn't equipped for that form. They wanted me to pay $50 to upgrade to some deluxe investor version. Umm... no. So I started all over on Monday with H&R Block. I paid the $29.99 for their premium service, but ended up finding a deduction I had missed that was worth $100. I also went ahead and started withholding money on my W-4 so that next year we won't owe anything. That is so annoying! And neither of us will be selling our stock unless absolutely necessary. I would prefer to go back to free filing next year!

Oh well, with my overtime shift yesterday (50 hour week - what was I thinking???) and Scott working Grad Nites this week and next week, our financial cushion should be re inflated pretty soon. Thank goodness!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So when can you pay back that $900 you owe me?