flickr

www.flickr.com

03 April, 2007

Back on Schedule

Ok, so let's go back to what should have been yesterday's blog.

We had to drop the car off at the dealership at 10:30 am, which particularly sucked for Scott, since he worked until 3:30 that morning. It also sucked for both of us because we hit the dreaded morning traffic on 192. It took 1/2 hour to get to the first possible alternate route. So we were late, but not by much.

After dropping off the car, Scott drove me back to work. "Work?" you ask, "Isn't Monday your day off?" Well yes, thank you for paying attention. But today we four reservationists were going to get together and go to the hotel's "spring training," which is basically 2 hours where you flit from station to station and learn about the stuff in the hotel that you didn't know. Our restaurant had a station, and was serving "chicken and mushrooms" which was actually chicken confit and a mushroom custard. The hotel's seafood restaurant actually had two live lobsters on display. Gah! And I won a towel bunny from the housekeeping/front desk station for guessing the answer to a question.

Well, our session was from noon to two, and on our way out my boss came and asked if I could stay and help our "girl chef" run the last session. The big bosses were on their way to a party celebrating yet another Silver Spoon award. So I stayed on. And then I spent 2 hours plating up tiny servings of chicken confit and passing trays.

At 5:00, I finally had a chance to check my voicemail from the Hyundai dealership. The Check Engine light was on because the computer "registered a misfire" so they did something to my spark plugs. They didn't charge me the $45 for the diagnostic because it was so easy to fix. And all I paid for was my oil change (since I was there...) and labor. $42. That's a bit much for an oil change, but cheaper than a new car!

So we went and picked up my car and then drove home. So my two hour work obligation ended up netting me 5.5 hours of OT. That's especially impressive because I hadn't planned on even paying myself for Spring Training because I was just going for the free food and door prizes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see your homeless cardboard begging thing, "Will work for Free food and prizes."

You can borrow MY sign if you don't have time to make your own.

Janette said...

Yay for Frances!