flickr

www.flickr.com

27 April, 2007

Appreciated Person

So, in case you missed it, Wednesday was the day formerly known as Secretary's Day (or is it secretaries' day? well I guess it doesn't matter because now it's "Administrative Professionals" Day instead). It's the day where umm... I don't really know what happens. It's not like bosses give their "administrative" people the day off. Flowers? Lunch? Maybe that's it.

Anyway, apparently I rate as an A.P. in this job. I came in yesterday to flowers and a card from our Chefs. Actually, the flowers are fake and they live in a really neat looking vase, which is good because it means Scott won't eventually have to scrape a layer of slime out of the vase when the flowers die and the water turns stagnant.

Speaking of work, I had two nearly identical conversations with two different management-level people yesterday, both of which started, "don't tell anyone but..." Amazingly enough, both proceeded to tell me the same thing that I was stressing over on Monday. So yeah - apparently in this job I am officially IN the loop. That's a strange departure for me. Apparently, I am also perceived as someone who can keep her mouth shut (silence from the peanut gallery!!!) and who can keep a secret (really - stop - I can hear you laughing from here). That's an even stranger departure.

Such is the life of an administrative professional. I guess.

4 comments:

Janette said...

What? :: looking around :: Me laugh? NEVER! That must have been your mother that you heard.

I have no doubt that you can keep a secret. The problem (and we share this trait) is that you can't keep from making smart assed (though very astute) remarks. It's that whole "lack of a mental stop sign" thing.

But I'd trust you with a secret in heart beat!

Congratulations on being IN the loop. How's the view from in there?

Anonymous said...

So what's the big secret? It's not really a "stressing" situation unless it invovles a promotion and a big fat raise for you....

Ah...yes....perspective rears its ugly head :)

Anonymous said...

I have always thought of you as someone who could keep a secret ... and you always seem to have fostered trust in your friends ... so ... they were both wise to confer with you!

And you KNOW that whatever you share with me will be held in the strictest of confidence! I can keep a secret TOO! Let me prove it! Gimme a chance!

And congrats on the plastic flowers!

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

How sad that some people think the only thing to stress about is social and financial gain. There's more to life than that... at least for some of us.

How's that for perspective? :)