flickr

www.flickr.com

28 May, 2006

Instant Headache... Just Add Melon

I genuinely enjoy the aroma of a Yankee Candle Car Jar air freshener, especially the honeydew melon. I've gone through two or three of them, and when you follow the instructions on the package (open just a little of the plastic at a time) they add a delightful subtle fruity smell that combats the petrified french fry and stinky feet smell of my car. Here's some other tidbits you should know before I continue my story:

  • The last time I replaced my Car Jar, they didn't have the melon. Instead I got a "mandarin cranberry" one. I opened it a little bit and it never really had much of a smell.
  • Rather than hang a tacky air freshener on my mirror, I keep them under my seat.
  • It has been at least six months since my last "honeydew melon" purchase.

  • Tonight after work, I noticed that my car was smelling a little foot-ish, so I reached under my seat to open up the air freshener a little more. I pulled out an ancient melon-scented one, and kept feeling around for the newer cranberry one. I couldn't find it, so I just pulled the wrapper off the old melon one and stuck it back under my seat.

    I don't think I'd even driven a mile before I was completely overcome by the nightmarish, headache-inducing smell of 10,000 melons filling my car. I opened the window to get some fresh air, but I wore my hair down today and kept choking on clumps of it blowing in my mouth. There was nothing I could do but put the AC blowers on full-blast and keep fresh air coming into the car that way.

    I got home without asphyxiating, but I did end up driving most of the way home with a headache (which went away almost as soon as I opened the car door). Of course, I'm almost afraid to head out to work tomorrow and smell what's going to go on with that thing once my car goes over 100 degrees!

    Wish me luck with that.

    2 comments:

    Janette said...

    Talk about too much of a good thing.

    Luck with that!

    Anonymous said...

    I got "new car smell" thingys from Wal Mart ... these clips for the a/c vents that kinda look like bobby pins with gummy bears on them. They work! And what surprised me the most is that they didn't overpower the car!