flickr

www.flickr.com

04 May, 2006

Typhoon Lagoon

I don't think I could have planned a more relaxing escape from the ordinary than our trip to Typhoon Lagoon yesterday. We invited Beth and Brian along, and had a great time. Of course, we only did a handful of attractions:

Castaway Creek (the lazy river), where we spent hours going in circles and trying to avoid the ice-cold waterfalls and water sprays. I also scraped the heck out of my knee towards the end of our day. Darn walls!

the wave pool - I really thought security was going to have to remove Scott from the pool at closing time. every 90 seconds yet another giant wave is unleashed from the front tanks and a collective scream comes from almost every person in the pool. even ducking under the wave, we were getting dragged at least 10-15 feet every time.

the shark reef - snorkeling across the shark reef only takes a couple minutes - it's only 60 feet long - but on some levels it was even cooler than snorkeling at Castaway Cay. There were sharks and giant rays on the bottom of the tank, and some HUGE fish that would swim right in front of your face. of course, the water was unheated (somewhere around 70 degrees), and I still have trouble with the whole breathe-through-a-tube thing. but I made it through, and LOVED it!

Crush 'n Gusher - it's the first "water coaster" built outside of the Schlitterbahn in Texas (I think). Scott sat this one out, which worked out well for me and Beth and Brian, since the line for three-person tubes was so much shorter. There are actually jets that shoot you UP as you go along. I tried out two of the three runs, and had fun, but was disappointed at how short they were. Luckily, as I said, the lines weren't so bad.

And, as always, some of the most fun to be had at any water park is the people watching. Oh the humanity! Banana hammocks are bad... especially ones with flowers in different neon colors! And on the opposite extreme, there was a woman in the lazy river wearing pants and a long-sleeve shirt.

This concludes my report on Typhoon Lagoon. Coming some time in the next month: Blizzard Beach. Gotta love free passes!

2 comments:

Janette said...

Okay - now I am jealous! It sounds like you had a great time...except for the banana hammocks. *YUCK*

Anonymous said...

I love the lazy river there! But what is a banana hammock?