flickr

www.flickr.com

09 April, 2010

Funny About Money

If you are friends with me on Facebook, you may already know this story. I got notification of my raise this week. Also, I got notification that I am topped-out in my pay grade. Actually, I wasn't so much 'notified' as told that I was getting a six cent per hour raise. And when I questioned why, with a first-rate evaluation, I was only getting six cents, I was told I was topped out. Surprise!

For those of you doing the quick math, my raise will cover less than one gallon of gas per week. Slightly longer math reveals that I'll be making an extra $124.80 annually before taxes.

It certainly doesn't cover the rise in my health insurance premiums this year. It doesn't cover inflation. And in my book, it's a big fat insult.

To his credit, my boss is making a half-assed attempt to have my pay grade changed. Technically, right now I'm a clerk. If he can have me bumped up to coordinator, the pay will be slightly better. Realistically, if this decision is made by the same bean counters who refuse to adequately staff our location, I think it's unlikely that they're going to change my status.

Ironically enough, my past two jobs are both hiring this week. I got an email from a former co-worker (to be fair, he sent it to 5 other people too) pointing out that they were hiring and to PLEASE consider coming back. He also told me that the starting pay is nearly $1 more per hour than what I'm making now.

There are a lot of reasons why I left that location. Most of it had to do with negativity. A lot of the people there are miserable and just working for a paycheck. And a lot of my job was handling angry yelling people on the phone. But I was good at it. And even with zero seniority, I'd be a part of a team with multiple members and therefore able to actually take vacation or use sick pay without having to beg someone else to cover for me.

So...irony or fate? I have a week to decide, but right now I'm leaning towards applying. What's the worst that could happen?

2 comments:

wickedmess said...

I guess the worse that could happen is that you end up in the job that you don't like but you'd at least feel like you were getting compensated for it. It sucks when you feel that you're being taken advantage of and being taken for granted. Golf Guy is in nearly the same boat right now so you definitely have my sympathy!

I hope what ever you decide to do works out for you.

Carol ReMarks said...

I hear ya! We all got pay raises too, I can now treat myself to a cup of Starbucks each week. Oooooh. But some people actually went NEGATIVE by a few dollars with their "raises" because of the health insurance rates going up - annual renewal. I am topped out at my position too.