flickr

www.flickr.com

25 April, 2010

Nature vs Nurture

One of the nicest things about living in a condo-type dwelling is that someone else takes care of our grass and flowerbeds. Scott and I discovered long ago that the only flowering plant we didn't kill was the basil, and that doesn't really count!

This flower to the left was planted outside our front door. I don't know what it is, but it seems to be in the daffodil/iris family. I bet that last sentence sounded really stupid to anyone who knows anything about flowers. Luckily for me, ignorance is bliss!

Amazingly enough, this isn't the only flower we have right now. It's the only type in the flowerbed, but we've also got two very different flowers blooming out in the pond...

Pardon me while I photo-geek out on the fact that you can see the spider web in the last picture!

I'm a huge fan of the wild flowers, but I'm glad we have the other ones too. And I appreciate the happy accident that lead to them all being coordinating colors!

4 comments:

wickedmess said...

So pretty!

I think you're right in that the first is an iris of some kind. The middle is Pickerel Rush. I've seen it in blue, purple and white. I have no idea what the third flower is but it's a great photo!

I love wildflowers. I like the idea that no matter how much time and money people spend cultivating beautiful gardens Nature will just toss stuff out there that's effortless and better. That it shows up in unexpected places and at unexpected times just thrills me.

wickedmess said...

The third is "Bulltongue Arrowhead".

Passing the info on because that is perhaps one of the most awesome plant names EVER!

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

you know, I'm tempted to go back to college just so I can get you to do my research for me! lol

Jamie the ParkHopper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.