flickr

www.flickr.com

24 April, 2010

Potato Salad Humor

For Easter, one of the husband-wife teams at The Restaurant made a buffet spread for the rest of us. There was a ham and a bunch of different sides, and it was the best Easter dinner I've ever had. (the ham was a Honey-Baked Ham, which Scott dislikes, but I'll find a way to have it again somehow...) The surprise favorite of almost everyone was the potato salad. It was the most delicious potato salad I've ever had. It was so light and fluffy you could've eaten a pound of it. And most of us tried!

So after dreaming of this potato salad for a while, I finally asked the guy who made it for the recipe. He said he found it in a Southern Living cookbook and picked it because he had the correct ingredients at home already. But since he had so many compliments, he's going to start telling people it's his secret family recipe. Luckily for me (and you), he was willing to share the recipe. I got it by e-mail yesterday...


Here's the super secret family recipe brought over from Ireland and passed down and tweaked by all of my southern ancestors with some suggestions made by General Sherman as he passed through on his way to Atlanta. The recipe was stolen by Jean Lafitte the pirate but was recovered in New Orleans by Louis Armstrong who returned it to my grandmother (I'd rather not say how they knew each other. Let's just say he liked her "cookin").

I've made notes as to what brand of ingredients I used but of course make it with whatever you like.

Southern-Style Potato Salad

You can substitute light mayonnaise and sour cream with good results.

Yield: Makes 8 servings


4 pounds potatoes (about 4 large) (I used Yukon Gold Potatoes)
3 hard-cooked eggs, grated
1 cup mayonnaise ( Used Dukes brand. Closest flavor to homemade mayo)
1/2 cup sour cream (Daisey's. All natural. lovely flavor)
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon mustard (Guldons Spicy Brown)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (Didn't use this time but I will next time. Who doesn't love bacon?)
Garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, grape tomatoes

Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 40 minutes or until tender; drain and cool. Peel potatoes, and cut into 1-inch cubes.

Stir together potatoes and eggs.

Stir together mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients; gently stir into potato mixture. Cover and chill. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving. Garnish, if desired.

No comments: