flickr

www.flickr.com

24 April, 2006

1-800-SUICIDE

They put up the new postcards on PostSecret on Sundays. Last night when I got home from work, the first site I went to was that one. I just can't wait to get my fix, dontcha know. At the bottom of the page was the following e-mail:

Dear Frank,

I received your Federal Express envelope today and deposited your generous donation of $4,000.00. Thank you.

As I explained to you on the phone yesterday, we are in desperate need of raising an additional $1,000.00 in the next 7 days in order to keep 1(800)SUICIDE operational. I would not ask you to do this if it were not urgent but could you share our need with those who visit your website?

People can go to http://www.hopeline.com/ and make an online donation or they can contact me directly, if they prefer.Thanks again Frank. I would not make this plea if it were not so critical.

Warm regards,

Reese Butler,
reese@hopeline.com
Founder, Kristin Brooks Hope Center
888 16th NW, Suite 680
Washington DC 20006
p. 703.924.6167


I knew the proceeds from the PostSecret book went to the KBHC, and I knew that it was associated with 1-800-SUICIDE, but that's about all I knew. When I read the message I thought maybe I should check them out. Here's some stuff I found from their website:

Since the suicide of his wife Kristin in April 1998, KBHC Founder Reese Butler has been on a personal crusade. His mission the past four years has been to offer HOPE and the option to LIVE to those in the deepest emotional pain...

...the launching of the Kristin Brooks Hope Center and its primary program, the National Hopeline Network 1-800-SUICIDE. Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher dedicated this national crisis hotline network in May 1999. It connects people who are depressed or suicidal -- or those who are
concerned about someone they love — automatically to a CONTACT USA or AAS certified crisis center.

While the idea of a suicide hotline is not a new one, the challenge of creating a national network and connecting our country’s crisis centers under a single, easy-to-remember, toll-free telephone was a daunting task. Heretofore, neither government agencies nor non-profit organizations had ever attempted such a project.

People in crisis generally don't have the energy or ability to take on a long search for help. When those looking for support dial 1.800.SUICIDE they are seamlessly connected to an available certified crisis center nearest to their calling location. While it’s seemingly a simple concept, the Network is elegant and effective when put into action. Behind the scenes there are significant computer and telephony infrastructures working in concert to provide help within 20 to 30 seconds of a call being placed.

Of course, I ended up donating. How could I not? I had some trouble with their credit card form, and e-mailed Reese Butler and figured I wouldn't hear back from him until the work week started. He actually wrote back just a few hours after I sent my message -- on a Sunday -- to clear up the problem, and said they can also take checks. If any of you out there have $5 or $500 to spare, please consider this organization.

(and if you decide to donate off of their website, don't bother filling in the information on the front page. click on the PayPal link and go from there. PayPal is going to ask you for your credit card information again anyway.)