flickr

www.flickr.com

10 April, 2006

Drama and Frustration

...courtesy of DisneyShopping.com

I pre-ordered the Chronicles of Narnia 2-disc DVD from disneyshopping.com specifically because it came with a $20 gift card. Otherwise, I could've gotten it from Wal Mart on the day it came out and not had to wait or pay shipping. So I got my gift card today (which consisted of an e-mail with a code on it) and promptly logged on to get the purchase I've been waiting for for months - the Mickey chrome Mix Stick. It was out of stock at Christmas, and I was so excited to finally get my hands on it.

Sadly, Disney was thwarting my efforts. When I tried to process my order, it was only taking $10 off instead of my allotted $20. There it was in the fine print at the bottom of the gift card e-mail:
* DisneyShopping.com Special Offer Gift Card Restrictions:Special Offer Gift Card expires 11:59 pm PT, April 24, 2006. Limit one Special Offer Gift Card per order. Qualifying purchase based on pre-tax, post-discount amount and excludes Shipping & Handling charges, gift cards, animation art, Walt Disney Classics Collection, Disney electronics, DVDs, videos, CDs and cassettes, video games, CD-ROMs, You-Design-It Tees, books, sing-alongs, read-along, pre-sales, gift boxes, Pooh Friendship Wishbands and items not in stock. Cannot be combined with other offers. No adjustments to prior purchases. We reserve the right to cancel your Special Offer Gift Card if you return or exchange the pre-ordered DVD or UMD. Merchandise must be exchanged for identical item or returned at discounted price with valid packing slip. Special Offer Gift Card valid only on orders placed online at DisneyShopping.com. Not valid on phone orders or purchases from Disney catalog, Disney Store outlets, DisneyAuctions.com or Disney Store retail locations. Special Offer Gift Card may not be redeemed for cash. Special Offer Gift Card may not be sold, altered, duplicated or copied and will not be replaced if lost, stolen or corrupted. Use of Special Offer Gift Card is acceptance of its terms. This offer may be canceled or modified at any time due to system error, fraud or other unforeseen problem. Void where prohibited.

Oops! I couldn't believe I had failed to read the fine print at the bottom of the promotional e-mail. What a dufus! And to tell you the truth, I really didn't think I was that stupid. It turns out, I'm not. The fine print at the bottom of the e-mail didn't mention any restrictions on what you could use the gift card for. So I called them. I talked to a wonderful woman who was able to give me $20 off the purchase and processed it over the phone.

Something I love about Disney as a whole is that it empowers its front-line people to solve problems. And that's exactly what she did. So, while I was frustrated and disappointed with the lack of continuity, in the end I got exactly what I wanted: my very own purse-sized MP3 player for $20 off. Yay!

No comments: