flickr

www.flickr.com

26 April, 2006

Who Invests in their PAST?

I spent $72 at wal mart today, the bulk of which was spent on 6 storage tubs. I looked at Scott when the cashier read the total and said, "who invests that much in their PAST?"

Anyway, I was amazingly productive today. I took the whole giant pile of boxes and turned it into this:

(a slightly less giant pile of plastic boxes)

Actually, the big one on the right is less than half-full (but I'll fill it up with other random crap that's laying around). And the one on the left is totally filled with stuffed animals from a cardboard box in the bedroom. I threw out a lot of the "treasures" when Mom came to visit. There was a lot of, "do you want this?" "no" "me neither." And into the trash it went. I also pared down my collection of high school newspapers to one of each issue... with the exception of the one I won the ASPA investigative journalism award for and the 'Class of 96' Senior edition.

Now would also be a great time to mention that I fan I am of the Space Bag phenomenon. In the bag below, there are 4 formal dresses, 3 middle/high school jackets, 4 baby dresses, 2 blankets, and my dance recital costume (on the top because the sequins make me smile). I also bought a slightly smaller bag to put my wedding dress in. I figure it's time to put it into somewhat permanent storage.

And of course, now that the majority of the boxes have been emptied of their contents (I still have that box of naked Cabbage Patch Kids that I think is going to the Good Will), I have a huge trash pile. Notice that the old TV still hasn't made it downstairs? That's on the agenda for tomorrow. I wish I had lightened the picture a little so that you could better see that the bottom box on the left is actually full of flattened boxes.


And so tomorrow we grocery shop. And take out the trash. And vacuum. And, depending on the time I have left and the condition of my back (which is currently angry with me over today's exploits), I may tackle the other pile of cardboard boxes in the corner of the bedroom.

...and perhaps 7 days from today, when I once again have a day off, I'll get to relax a little. Because that certainly wasn't on the agenda for this week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beware of space bags and cat claws.
Ask me how I know.

Janette said...

Wait! I've always heard that storing wedding gowns in any sort of plastic is bad, bad, bad! I think the plastic is said to give off chemicals that can break down the fibers. You might check on that before you do it.

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

I can't imagine that storing it in plastic can be any worse than "storing it" on the floor of the closet! Besides, I'm planning on cutting a ring pillow out of it to force on my theoretical children some day.

...but I'll look into it before actually doing anything permanent.

Anonymous said...

This ordeal looks like it might be over soon. Thank God!