flickr

www.flickr.com

06 April, 2006

Random TV Observations

Katie Couric
Am I the only one who doesn't really take her seriously? Of all the morning female anchors, she's the one I most see as her co-host's little sister. I can't see tuning in to watch the evening news delivered by a cheerleader. Give me Diane Sawyer or Elizabeth Vargas any day. On a slight tangent, I got a call yesterday (6 hour OT shift...woo hoo) from a man who wanted to know when Katie was going to leave ABC. I told him she's currently on NBC and he laughed at himself. It was good fun.

South Park
I watched South Park religiously during its first season. We all got together on Wednesday nights and watched it, drunk off our butts for the most part. The next year, I was hanging with a different circle and couldn't sit through an episode. I dismissed it as animated potty humor that just wasn't funny sober.

A week or two ago I was playing on the computer with Comedy Central on the TV playing behind me. South Park came on and I actually found myself listening to it and laughing. (it was the Isaac Hayes blow-off episode where Chef joins a child molesting cult) And last night I was laying in bed reading a book waiting for The Daily Show to come on, and South Park was parodying Family Guy and free speech, among other things.

The show, it seems, has gotten past saying "shit" 100 times just for the sake of saying it or having entire storylines based on a talking turd. Heck, they just won a Peabody. I'm not going to make any plans to watch South Park, but I'll probably stop avoiding it all the time.

American Idol
Since I was working last night, I didn't get to watch the elimination show. Scott e-mailed me the play-by-play, and I was really surprised at the bottom three: Paris, Elliot, and Mandisa. I thought Ace would be back down there, along with Bucky and Elliot. I was really shocked about Paris, because I called to vote for her between 10:30 and 11:15 (ok, her and Chris) and never did get through. Anyway, Mandisa is gone. That's a shame. I never expected her to win, but thought she'd get farther into the competition. And WHO OUT THERE is voting for Bucky? He must have friends in the phone company!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! You killed Kenny! You bastard!

Janette said...

Katie Couric - Don't like her one bit. I think she's a phony little harpy. It will be interesting to see how she does reading a teleprompter straight for a half hour. She'll have no co-host to bounce off of and very little to giggle about.

South Park - I don't watch it a lot but we did see last nights episode and I thought it was hysterical! Loved the commentary on free speech but the Hot Wheel chase was the funniest bit I've ever seen on their show. I admit that I'm looking forward to the next episode.

American Idol - I'm still not watching it. That fact has started to have an affect on my social life though. AI seems to be the focus of most polite conversation these days.