flickr

www.flickr.com

30 April, 2006

Fruitless Frivolity

Today was one of those days. Not one of those "I shouldn't have gotten out of bed" days, but one of those days where everyone engages in complete silliness for no apparent reason. Today, we built a castle.
We built a castle out of the 9" x 12" boxes used for recycling office paper. First we had to assemble the boxes (a whole lot of fold edge and insert tab A into slot B). That was a legitimate office task done inbetween phone calls. Then we had all of these boxes taking up space at the Help Desk waiting to be put at each workstation. So I built a wall. People would ask what I was doing and I would say, "I'm building a literal wall to go along with my metaphorical one." And when I was done walling myself in, Sandy borrowed the little flags from our training room and Melissa loaned me the frogs to be my sentries. And I made a sign. And, in true princess fashion, I stood within my castle walls and waved to my subjects.

Alas, 6:00 rolled around all too soon. Ginger came into work and needed to get to her desk (which was inside the castle). So we played Godzilla and knocked it all over. And then Beth took the boxes and left one, like the box fairy, at each position. And then there were 45 left over. So we disassembled them.

Some castle stats:
65 boxes
8 folds each
6 flags
1 paper cut
1 bleeding cuticle
only 1 band aid

And believe it or not, in that picture I'm standing completely upright. It truly was like playing with building blocks for grown-ups! I bet Milo would be jealous if he knew. Let's not tell him...

2 comments:

Janette said...

Milo would have been in kitty cat heaven!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a picture of you stacking a tower of canned food ... I remember after I took the picture, the cans toppled over and hurt your toe ... and you never played "cans" ever again ... my choice, not yours! I can see that my grand children will build towers out of a safer and saner medium!