flickr

www.flickr.com

27 April, 2006

Let's Take a Jog Around the Country!

Today we grocery shopped, and drove an hour down I-4 to take ShirleyMom out for her be-lated birthday. We watched Idol (yay! Chris was in the top two and Kellie finally got the boot). Scott made Chex mix. And that's really the long and the short of it. But elsewhere in the blog world, amazing/funny/great things are happening!

Over at PostSecret, an update from Reese Butler:

Dear Frank,

Ten days ago, when you shared my message on the PostSecret Blog that the HopeLine needed urgent help, the most amazing thing happened - over 600 people responded with donations totaling over $30,000.00!

At our darkest hour, days from filing for bankruptcy, all of you saved us. We appreciate all your support; every dollar, every personal note, every thought and prayer are important to us.

This is a miracle.
Yay! 600 people! I'm so proud to be a member of the human race!

Meanwhile, Laura over at Adventures in Juggling took Daniel in for surgery #9, this time to remove his G tube.

They say it heals and closes much like any other body piercing...meaning it "should" close up on its own in the next few days. Sometimes they will leak and the healing is slowed down taking up to six weeks and sometimes they never close at all requiring a couple stitches to close the hole up...

In the meantime, we are home and tired. Little man is doing okay until he bends over or bumps his belly then he remembers he hurts.
Yay Daniel! And of course, there's a plug in this entry to support her March of Dimes Walk America team. They're up to $580 in pledges now.

Karen of the Naked Ovary and her husband went and got re-fingerprinted at the Immigration office. Sounds thrilling, doesn't it? I guess this is what it's like when you're in the throes of international adoption.

Everyone blinked twice at our applications and then looked at us and said "American citizens?" which was subtext for "what the fuck are you guys doing in an immigration office?" So I directed them to the "Orphan Fingerprint Referral Letter" that was attached to the form. And then they all squinted at our appointment date, which was listed in big black font as "Tuesdar April 18." (Yes, Tuesdar.) Then they looked at us, pointing at the date. Subtext: "Um, fuckers, it's not Tuesdar, and it's not April 18."

"Well, if you read the SMALL PRINT," I said to each of them, pointing at the small print below the appointment date, "you will see that it says we can come ANY Wednesday AFTER Tuesdar..."

She writes the way that I see the world -- with a continuous inner monologue that amuses me through the most mundane situations. She's going through some tough times right now playing the waiting game, and her blog is totally real and raw. And her commenters are hilarious.

And finally there's Brenda over at 20 Little Toes. As the title suggests, she has twin infants (starting to teethe...ouch!). I started reading her at the end of her hellish pregnancy. And now her blog is full of adorable baby pictures that I swoon over daily. But that's not what caught my eye today. Apparently she has a friend or acquaintance who is having difficulty with a shady automotive repair place. (you should really read the whole post -- I've abridged it quite a bit)

LONE STAR ENGINE on ANN ST in DALLAS TX, 214-821-1105 put a rebuilt engine in my car in the fall of 2005. I took it back to them for various problems in the next few months, but after JUST 4-1/2 MONTHS that engine they gave me BLEW again!

...they told us a MINIMUM of a DOZEN times that it would be ready on such-n-such day only to find out that it STILL wasn’t running right and they needed to do more work...

...they kept my car for TWO MONTHS, and they gave it back to me in tatters.

...I feel like they screwed us out of $2500 for the first engine repair because it blew so quickly, and I feel like they screwed us out of thousands of more dollars because we had to trade it in and absorb the negative equity.

Wow... I feel like I have a soul-sister in Texas! I just can't help but wonder if my own buddies at REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSION have kin-folk in Dallas! After all, I've had my own share of rants on this very topic. (11 separate entries in 2006 alone!) But at least her car wasn't broken into and egged on the inside!

I'm so glad I have my blogs to read every day. I feel like they're all part of my big virtual family. And I'm glad that I can read them in the privacy of my own home, so that when I laugh out loud (that whole rebuilt engine thing hit really close to home!) or cry over the plight of total strangers, no one knows but me and Scott... until I share it with the world!

3 comments:

Janette said...

Out of the 50 or so ladies in The Cotillion there's about 20 of us that are really close. Through a YahooGroup we exchange about 200 messages on a slow day. It's amazing how attached you can get to people you've never met, isn't it? I know what you mean about "virtual family".

BSumner said...

You know I get really grumpy if I don't get to read my blogs every day. It's like talking to a sister or a best friend. I've even made sure our rental house on OBX will have wireless internet so that I can keep up with everyone while basking in the sunshine and watching my mother visit with her grandbabies for the first time ever.

do you think they have a 12 step program for people like us?


oh.. they egged the INSIDE????? WTF?????

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

yeah. we think they were mad that they couldn't get the stereo out. but I got my car back with three distinct eggy splotches and tons of eggshells. on the inside.