flickr

www.flickr.com

01 May, 2007

Nerves of Jelly

Well, I had my excitement for the month last night. I actually went out and auditioned for something. "Something" in this case being a choir composed of Disney people and their families/friends. I had been talking myself into and out of auditioning for a week. In fact, at 4 pm I didn't think the novocaine from my 2 fillings was going to have worn off and had pretty much decided to once again let something potentially fun slip away. Then by 6 I had decided I was fine and needed to get out and actually try something new and scary.

So I went out and tried something new and scary.

The main choir has about 120 people in it, and then there's a bunch of solos and smaller ensembles as well. I don't know how many auditioned total, but I was #50 on the sign-up sheet last night. In my favor: there's not a whole lot of Sop-1's out there. I know that from Candlelight - 90% of the women in my section defaulted to the lower parts.

Besides, I feel pretty good about my audition. I got some positive feedback from the three guys on the panel (the two in pink shirts and one in a blue shirt - that's literal, not code for anything else), and got through my entire song selection, which was almost twice as long as the 16 bars the flyer said I would get to sing. Of course, I did mine a cappella because I didn't know the arrangement on the sheet music and was afraid it would mess me up. So then I had to sing When You Wish Upon a Star - I'm assuming to show that I can follow a piano on timing, etc. The snag: I forgot to bring my water into the building with me, and was there about 45 minutes before my audition, so my voice was a little bit airy. But I nailed the music, and was so strong on the high notes that it sounded like I could go much higher without a problem (in fact, my high range only has another 2 strong notes in it - after that it's a crap-shoot).

All along I had been planning on singing Think of Me from Phantom, mostly because I was supposed to pick a song that showed my range. But then the night before I came across my Carousel music from high school and decided on If I Loved You (Windows Media audio file) because the range was wider - middle C# up to high G - and I figured it was less likely that they were going to hear a half dozen people doing that song.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me. We don't hear anything for two weeks - they said they'd be e-mailing everyone by May 16. Of course, if I do make it, and you are related to me or live in the area, you will be expected to fork out the money for a ticket (which gets donated to a charity anyway - it's probably a tax deduction!) to come and see the show at the end of July.

Oh yeah - I also learned yesterday that Kilo does not like it when I sing high. He stood at the balcony door and cried to be let out every time I ran through the song. Ha!

2 comments:

Janette said...

Yay! for overcoming nerves of jelly! My fingers are crossed for you!

And hey, even if you don't make it at least you figured out a new way to torture the cat.

Anonymous said...

Yaaaa JAAAYYYY-mmmeeee!
Put the truckers down for two tickets. All we need is the date of the show!