flickr

www.flickr.com

23 May, 2007

Randomness

Hi all - here's some unrelated thoughts for you today:

* I watched about 1/2 of the Idol final competition show last night. What can I say? There was nothing else on and Scott was outside cooking dinner. Anyway, I'm a little confused about how this Blake guy made it into the finals. He just wasn't that good. Jordin swept the floor with him. Of course, it's Idol, so I know that talent doesn't really dictate the winner. Anyway, she's good, but she's good like Diana DiGarmo - good voice, young girl, will probably be forgotten before her first album is released. Bonus: my boyfriend's band, Daughtry, closed out the show last night. Sadly, there was no number at the bottom of the screen to vote for him.

* Since I was out of contacts, Scott and I took our annual pilgrimage to the eye doctor yesterday. I still have trouble understanding why we drive allll the way to Winter Haven to be mis-treated by office staff (yesterday it was "you were here in November. are you having trouble with your eyes?" "oh you just need to order contacts then?" they didn't get the whole concept of insurance will only pay for the contacts if I actually see the doctor too), and then Scott has to wait a few weeks for his glasses to come in and then he's going to drive allllllll the way to Lakeland because no one in the Winter Haven office is capable of fitting glasses.

* There's some extra money in my FSA card, and I am contemplating spending a little of that money on some green contacts. I have two free samples of different lenses, so look for a photo post maybe later today.

* We stopped at Cracker Barrel on the way home and laughed from the moment we were seated until we left. Must be something about near-starvation and dilated pupils that makes the things on the walls there funnier. I was really angry at myself for not having my camera, since there was a rather "Brokeback" print above our table. Seriously. There was a man laying on his stomach, and another man straddling man #1's butt with his hands on the guy's kidneys. Yes, they were fully clothed. Yes, it still looked a little more like sodomy than you'd expect in a 1950's advertising print. I don't remember what product it was advertising, but the caption said something along the lines of "knowing how to resuscitate someone can save their life." I don't think people ever thought CPR was done on the kidneys.

* Mmm...grilled catfish with mashed potatoes, fried okra, and fried apples...

* Mmm...strawberry shortcake...

* Oh, Mylanta!

* Also at Cracker Barrel: the next time you are there checking out, look up. This particular store has farm instruments hanging from the ceiling - even axes and picks - by near-invisible wire. I asked the lady checking us out if she ever got scared standing under those things, and she looked up, then looked at me and said, "not until now." Oops! Well really, why would you hang a "decorative" axe from the ceiling? That's just irresponsible!

* I'm not in the habit of doing product reviews, but I thought this was worth a mention. A few weeks ago, Cat gave me a bunch of free samples of the Schick Intuition razor. I don't know why she had them all, but I never turn down anything free! They sat under the sink in the bathroom until I completely ran out of my "good" razors. I tried it out this morning and was really impressed. In fact, if the pricing on the refills is the same for these as they are for the Venus razor I have now, I'll probably switch. These things are completely surrounded by some kind of skin care stuff, so they lather, shave, and moisturize at the same time. And they shave well - I didn't have to go over the same spot more than once.

* We have to go grocery shopping today. I hate shopping. But if I don't go, I lose the right to complain about what I have for lunch for the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have fried green tomatoes for lunch next week!