flickr

www.flickr.com

08 May, 2007

Purple TOES, TomaTOES, and Other Assorted PhoTO(E)S

Today was just screaming to be a Photo Blog sort of day. Who am I to argue with fate? Where to begin? Of course, with purple toes!

Cat and I went out yesterday and had lunch, got pedicures, and bought some wine. OK, I bought some wine. Red, even. And it's tasty! But anyway, I like having a color on my toes that surprises me when I look down. And I think I've accomplished that with the dark purple. I've been calling these my "goth toes." Scott asked if I was planning on dying my hair black too, and I said yes and I wanted to find some lipstick to match the polish. My toe nails and underwear are really the only ways for me to "rage" against the "conservative classic look" I have to have for work. (and yes, Milo approves)

Can you see the three tomatoes on this plant? We haven't yet been able to achieve a red tomato. So far, they get to a certain size and then start turning black on the bottom. I'm assuming that it's because the plant is young and can't really afford to support its offspring. Well, I'm hoping. I was really looking forward to that Caprese salad!

And the cilantro bush has almost completely overtaken its pot. The chives are clinging to their little corner bravely attempting to ward off the approach, but I fear they will soon need to be replanted. Who knew cilantro would make such a fabulous hanging basket?

And who could forget the little dill that could? I haven't spotlighted it recently because it's not in a very photo-friendly spot. I bet it will be moving to a top shelf space soon, because it seems to be out-growing its cube in every direction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy! Have I got a recipe for my son in love! I just this week bought a post card in Georgia with a recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes (yes, from the Whistle Stop Cafe where they're served daily, hot and fresh) and I was wondering who to send it to ... now I know!

Nice toes!

But I'd like to insert this observation ... you're not conservative because of your job ... you're just good at it!

Janette said...

Your tomatoes are suffering from "blossom end rot" - usually caused by irregular watering and low calcium in the soil. It's a common problem with tomatoes grown in containers. Regular watering and the addition of Epsom salts (1 tbs to a gallon of water) and some Tums (break a few up and push them into the soil) will correct the problem.

Janette "Green Thumb" Anonymous

Oh and I hate dark fingernail polish but I love painting my toenails funky colors. Maybe I'm raging against something too.