flickr

www.flickr.com

26 May, 2007

Thoughts on Pierogies

  • I learned this morning that there are microwave directions on a box of Mrs. T's. This is excellent news! Cover with water, a layer of plastic wrap*, 5 minutes in the nukery, and voila! This cooks the pasta quite nicely. The potato on the inside - still icy. But that's ok because I was taking them for lunch at work anyway. That's nothing another minute on high won't cure.

  • The 5 second rule gets extended to 10 seconds when there are only 10 pierogies in the box and one goes plop! right in front of your feet. Sure, it shouldn't have taken more than 5 seconds to pick it up, but I just woke up (after falling asleep somewhere around 3:45. note to self: no more reading blog archives until 3 am) and my reflexes are a little slow. I did rinse the little escapee under running water before reuniting it with its 9 friends.

  • I love pierogies. The ones I have for dinner are the sour cream & chives type, which give me mad onion breath. I still sometimes miss the Sunday brunch buffet at Eat n Park. Gotta love those Western Pennsylvania Polish. In college, a bunch of us would all go and I would have pierogies, mashed potatoes, and occasionally some bacon or other fried meat product. Mostly, I was there for the carbs.

* It seems we are out of plastic wrap. Or Scott has hidden it. Or I'm just unobservant. We do, however, have two large sheets of wrap covering the 2" x 4" remainder of a pineapple upside down cake. (yes, Scott made it) So I took one of those sheets of plastic to cover my microwave-safe bowl. I used it upside down, so that the cake crumbs wouldn't fall into the vat of boiling water.

2 comments:

Janette said...

I've never had a pierogie. You've inspired me to hunt them down the next time I'm at the grocery and give them a try.

Anonymous said...

If I'm going to have pierogies, I have to have them the way Stefanie's mother made them. When they were fully cooked, she quickly browed them in a pan with carmelized onions (burnt onions). OMG ... that was some good eatin'! Gotta love Philadelphia's Ukranian neighborhood!

But today, even Stefanie cooks Mrs. T's!

Mmmm, now I'm craving them!