flickr

www.flickr.com

15 June, 2007

A Cautionary Tale

Scalzi's Weekend Assignment: Share a useful tip for the kitchen. It can be about anything from cooking to cleaning, as long as it involves something in the kitchen (which, for the purposes of this assignment, includes the pantry and the table you eat at).

Yes, I work at a 4-star restaurant. No, I don't work in the kitchen. The only practical thing I have learned from the kitchen at work is that the guy carrying the giant pot of boiling liquid has the right of way. No matter what.



My home kitchen tip is simple: don't let this happen to you! If you pack a lunch for work or school, and the lunch involves any type of reusable plastic packaging, do not leave the packaging in your lunchbox, dirty with bits of uneaten food, until the next lunch you pack.



This container held my lunch on Monday - corned beef and cabbage. I have been off the past few days, and didn't discover the ancient food relics until this morning when I went to put today's lunch into my lunch box. If you have never smelled cooked cabbage after three days without refrigeration, consider yourself lucky. It's pretty wretched!

Amazingly, this is a bad habit of both mine and Scott's (mostly mine). We have a standing agreement that the person who left the container closed up has to be the one to open and rinse it out. You'd think by now we would have learned our lesson!

Extra credit: You're ten and allowed to cook a meal. What do you cook? Grilled cheese, chocolate chip cookies, and Kool Aid! These, along with pancakes, are the first hot foods I can remember being involved with. As for the Kool Aid, I drank a lot of it as a kid. I guess my mom just decided at some point that it would be better if I just made it myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I let you make kool-aid? Shame on me!

Pancakes, you're talking about that magic mix you made, right? That stuff was good! But NOTHING beats your mac and cheese ... except maybe that meat sauce! But you were prolly older than 10 then