flickr

www.flickr.com

26 June, 2007

"Herbal" Tea

I can just hear my three loyal readers right now asking themselves, "what in the Sam Hell is she doing in that pot?"

Nope, it's not soup (I make the stuff out of a can... unless I'm feeling very Suzy Homemaker, in which case I use powdered mix).

Nope, it's not some kind of wacky holistic fertility tea (though they do exist).

It's the beginning stage of mint iced tea. What's in the pot? Six Red Rose decaf tea bags and a giant handful of mint leaves from our balcony jungle.

The tea is now done, and aside from the random mint leaves that escaped into the jug when I poured the hot tea in, it's pretty tasty. It's not as strong as I'd like, and amazingly, not as minty as I wanted, but I haven't made tea at home in quite a while and it's nice to drink something other than water.

I'm off to bask in my Southernness. Catch y'all later!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH! I miss home made mint tea! Yesterday we drove past a field of mint which had been harvested or mown or something, and the whole world seemed to smell like Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies! It was magnificent! I had no idea mint was farmed anywhere!

What in the ham sandwich is she doing?

Janette said...

Sounds tasty!

But if you really wanted to bask in your Southerness you'd be making Mint Julep's with those leaves and not wasting them on some sissified tea. (At least it was iced!)

3 oz. Bourbon whiskey
4 to 6 sprigs mint leaves
sugar syrup, to taste (c. 1 oz)

Put Bourbon whiskey, mint, and sugar syrup into the bottom of a tall glass, or julep cup. Let stand for a bit to help release the mint flavor. Add crushed, or shaved, ice, and stir well to chill and mix the libation.

Of course I find it unlikely that y'all have any bourbon in the house. Far more likely that you've got the mixins for Mojitos. In which case I'm certain you don't need a recipe from me!

Anonymous said...

When I was serving cocktails at the Grand (lobby) once, a man ordered a mint julep. I got back to the bar, and we opened the recipe book, bcuz none of us had ever seen one. We made one for the guest and one for us. We tasted it and thought it tasted just plain AWFUL! And then when I served it to the guest, he took one look at it and said, "THIS is a mint julep? I was expecting something creamy." So I asked him why he ordered it and he said, a hotel this nice seems like the perfect place to drink a mint julep! Turns out he never had one either!

And it's possible that today, this very guest is the inventor of the Minty Mudbath shake at McDonald's!

Janette said...

Mint Juleps are an art form kind of like a good martini. I'd be leery of ordering one from a bartender who had never made one before.