flickr

www.flickr.com

14 June, 2007

"B" Serious!

Tonight was my first Encore rehearsal. I can't believe how much fun I had. I actually know only one single person from the outside world in a choir of 180 members, so I had plenty of opportunity to meet new people. And I did. Found a bunch of other sopranos who were quite nice, and so far only hate 2 people (who kept interrupting our break-out rehearsal to make sure the pianist/director heard that some people were slightly off-beat or not breaking at the right time - it's the first rehearsal and it's not your G.D. job, so just sit there and sing your part. grrrrr).

I had a moment of terror when we got to the last page of music we were doing tonight and the Soprano I notes were so high I actually had to count up lines to see what they were. (note: when I auditioned, my song went up to the G at the top of the staff, and that's very close to the top of my range) This particular song - When You Wish Upon a Star - ends with that same G, but then continues on with some "ahh"s - A, B-flat, C (yes, as in HIGH M-EFFING C), then D. I can do the C, but it shreds my throat. D is completely out of my reach. Luckily, the vocal coach AND the director made a point of saying "if you can't do it, DON'T" so I'm going to stick with the Soprano II safety net - which still ends with a B.

(note: the D in question is two notes from the end of this diagram. my throat hurts just thinking about that!!!)

Thank you for bearing with me through this boring-to-most post. Frankly, I'm so fascinated that there are people out there who can sing that high. And I'm a little disappointed that I'm not one of them.

2 comments:

Janette said...

Glad you had a great time at practice. And hey, only two a-holes out of 180 people? I think that beats the law of averages!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Park! You may not have the highest voice in town, but you have the best!