flickr

www.flickr.com

22 June, 2007

"Quote" "Unquote"

Please watch the following clip from Friends. I'll catch up with you under the video.



The air quotes in this episode are a favorite among Scott's and my circle of friends. Especially Dave. But it's from Friends... of course Dave loves it. Joey's inappropriate use of the air quotes cracks me up. It's funny because he's the stupid character, and he tries to follow along with what everyone else does.

Inappropriate use of quotes becomes much less amusing when in a business e-mail. From a doctor. Take this example, edited for privacy, but not for humor:

March 1 is my parents' "50th" wedding anniversary and I wanted to see if I could schedule the "private room" for this evening. It would be for the following "8" people...


Dr. Quotation and I have exchanged almost a dozen e-mails at this point, and every time he throws in a random "pair of quotes" for some reason. I have gotten into the habit of reading his messages aloud, using the Joey Tribbiani "air quotes" for effect.

Am I the only one with this pet peeve? I mean, I know I have some weird writing quirks - like this one with the dashes - that probably drive people mad, but I avoid using them at work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Jamie." I honestly don't "see" the "problem" with the use of "air quotes" in the "Dr.'s" "e-mail." I mean "really," what's the big "deal?" " :o) "

Anonymous said...

Jamie, I "think" you are my hero.

Janette said...

"Hahahaha!" Oh no, wait a minute - did I do that wrong?

Seriously, the Joey character was an actor and "presumably" had a questionable education. Dr. "Quotation" made it through how many years of "advanced" education? (I don't "know" what kind of doctor he is but let's assume a minimum of "8". LOL!) I'd "love" to know what university he attended! Maybe the doctor has his "secretary" or "assistant" write the emails? If so my "speculation" is a "moo" point. ("Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.")

My writing "quirk" is my undying love of ellipses...ellipses make writing more "fun"!

Anonymous said...

What can ya do?
Ya can't do nothin'!

At least we can respond to quote marks "privately." I struggle with people using worn out cliches, and believing they're speaking profundity! And you're STUCK, making eye contact with someone who thinks they're quite wise ... and you have to play along ... or hurt their feelings!
Of course, you can always throw a cliche back!

But you're SO right to have fun with them, doing the air quote thing for effect and all! I have a photo of a body shop, that I took for your uncle, that says, "Gary's Auto Part's"

There was a sale on apostrophes that day!