flickr

www.flickr.com

14 December, 2006

Golden Globe Nominations

The movie Borat was nominated for a Golden Globe. I'll admit that I didn't see the movie. And I can't think of any other comedies or musicals that got dissed. But I'm sure there was something! This has got to be the "what were they thinking?" nomination of the year.

Of course, the comedy actor nominations for this year really made me scratch my head: Sacha Baron Cohen, "Borat"; Johnny Depp, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"; Aaron Eckhart, "Thank You for Smoking"; Chiwetel Ejiofor, "Kinky Boots"; Will Ferrell, "Stranger than Fiction" Kinky Boots? That's a real movie? I'm pulling for my boyfriend Johnny, of course.

On the TV side of the Globes, Ugly Betty was nominated for comedy series. Now I watch that show religiously, so I feel I'm qualified to say this: the show isn't very good. I love America Ferrera, and support completely that she was nominated for best actress. But the show itself is a knock-off of a telenovela, and has the cheesy night time soap opera thread running through.

And Studio 60 was completely overlooked. That show has some of the best writing on TV (aside from Gray's Anatomy... which did get nominated) and a terriffic ensemble cast.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my opinion. I'll be going back to my bagel now.

1 comment:

Janette said...

I usually care very little about Hollywood awards shows and I find myself caring even less about this one. Borat? Really??? I must be getting old because I just don't get it. I have no desire to ever see that movie. Not even to see what the fuss is about.