flickr

www.flickr.com

14 January, 2006

24 Hours Later...

What a difference a day makes in the reporting of local news. Yesterday at lunchtime, Scott and I turned on Channel 9 to watch the news. The noon news was dominated by one story: Middle School Student with Handgun Shot and Killed by SWAT Team. They had two reporters at the school, one at the hospital, and one in the helicopter circling above the school.

Yes, it's a shocking and horrible story, and I'm not trivializing it in the least. But we watched them repeat the same information over and over for 20 minutes and never even saw the weather.

And in the heat of the moment, some important details were messed up:
  • The gun was actually a pellet gun, with black paint over the red markings
  • The student isn't dead

Honestly, I can understand that they didn't know about the gun. That wasn't an immediate revelation. But how could they report that the kid was dead without knowing that for sure?

Now that I'm done chastising WFTV, I thought I'd point out what a good job the school did during all of this. As soon as a teacher became aware of a student with a gun, the entire school went into lock down. No kids left their classrooms until instructed by police. Of course, the nervous parents who swooped in to rescue their babies said the school did an awful job "because it took too long for the kids to get to the parents." Umm... really... what does the term "lock down" mean to you? To me it means, "we're keeping your kids safe. sit there and chill until we determine that it's safe to let them out to you."

I guess this just goes into the books as another example of how crises either bring out the best in people or the worst in people. And may I always fall into the former category.

No comments: