flickr

www.flickr.com

20 January, 2006

Great Feats of Cash

Weekend Assignment: What's the best money you've ever spent? Whether it's something you love, something you use all the time or something that doesn't owe you a nickel, what is it?

I've spent a lot of money on a lot of stupid crap over the course of my life. And I have a lot of stupid crap to show for it. But the best money I ever spent was on something that I have nothing to show for now -- my first apartment on my own. I was spending $380/month on a tiny studio apartment, and barely eeking by. There was no ceiling fan, no garbage disposal, no dishwasher, and barely any space. It was truly a shoebox. But it was my shoebox. I lived there without anyone else helping me with the bills, or telling me to do laundry, or expecting anything from me at all. It taught me independence, and I proved to myself that I could do it on my own. I think that's something every young adult should experience, if even just for a year.

Extra Credit: Aside from food, what's the next purchase you plan to make?

The next major purchase will probably be a TV, or a TV stand. Ours is dying and every day the picture gets a little worse. And the ones we're looking at have side-mounted speakers and won't fit in our entertainment center.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best money I ever spent? I guess the house I bought in May.

Next purchase? PAINT!