flickr

www.flickr.com

04 January, 2006

Disappointment

(no, this isn't another football post)

I cajoled Scott into going to see Memoirs of a Geisha with me this afternoon. Considering that this book is in my Top Ten, I was really looking forward to seeing the story brought to life. I'll admit that the movie was beautiful. The vistas, the tea houses, the dances, even the plinkety-plunk music of the shamisem were all lovely. But somehow the geisha didn't sparkle enough to me. There were several plot omissions from the book, which is understandable considering the movie was over 2 hours long, but Sayuri's fierce determination just didn't come through. Neither did the family dynamic of the Nitta Okiya. Sayuri's story in the novel tore my heart out, but the movie barely moved me at all.

On a scale of JJJJJ, I would have given the movie JJJJ if I hadn't read the book, but I was so disappointed with the adaptation that I'm giving it JJJ out of JJJJJ.

I did have a rather strange experience in the theater during the movie. About an hour into the film, a couple came into the theater and decided they needed to sit next to me (I'm a sprawler -- I love the AMC theaters because the armrests come up and I can put my feet up on the chair next to me). Without even thinking about it, I looked at them and actually said, "you've GOT to be kidding me!" So I put my feet down, and moved my purse, popcorn, and napkins to the other side of Scott. He and I, of course, exchanged some meaningful glances. The couple was in there about a half hour before they got up and left. Apparently they were theater hopping. I was still hoping that the movie was going to get good, so I resisted the temptation to follow them into the next theater and then go track down security or management or someone to throw them out. Really, I know a handful of people who spend full days in that building for the price of one show. But I'm pretty sure they don't spend a half hour in each movie. The whole situation was just bizarre.

Anyone else out there ever experience anything like this?

No comments: