flickr

www.flickr.com

27 January, 2006

Surprising Gems - Three Mini-Reviews

One of the things I like most about my NetFlix subscription is that I have the opportunity to watch movies that I wouldn't spend the money to see in the theater or rent from the video store. NetFlix enables me to throw as many movies onto my list as possible, and then they get sent to my mailbox. But this isn't an ad for NetFlix. Honest.

I can't figure out why I added the last three movies I've gotten to my list. It was probably 2-3 months ago and I was probably in a very eclectic, eccentric mental place. How else would you explain The Aviator, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and The Longest Yard? And you know what? I loved them all!

I was pleasantly surprised with The Aviator. I didn't really know anything about the movie, outside of the Oscar hype. I was totally impressed with the performances of Leo DiCaprio and Kate Blanchette. I squirmed a lot watching Howard Hughes transform from rich playboy to OCD poster boy. And I found myself fascinated by yet another true story that I never learned about in school. JJJj out of JJJJJ

I had absolutely no idea what to expect from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The all-star cast including Jim Carrey, Kate Winslett, Mark Ruffalo, and Kirsten Dunst really turned in excellent performances. IMDB explains the film, "A couple undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories when their relationship turns sour, but it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with." The film was definitely not linear, but it wasn't nearly as hard to follow as I expected. I absolutely love Jim Carrey in dramas (OK, in this one and The Truman Show). He's a great actor, and I love to see him step out of the Ace Ventura/Grinch box every now and then. Oh yeah, and if I wouldn't get fired from my job, I'd absolutely dye my hair a lovely shade of blue, green, orange, or pink like Kate Winslett's character Clementine does throughout the movie. JJJJ out of JJJJJ

Fans of Adam Sandler movies will get a chuckle out of Rob Schneider's "you can do it..." character in The Longest Yard. I actually laughed out loud a few times during the movie. I had very low expectations going in -- a remake of a 1970's Burt Reynolds movie? Come On!! But I must admit, I enjoyed it. I like movies where the underdogs win in the end. I enjoyed watching the cons exact revenge on the guards. And I really got a kick out of all the giant thugs playing football and taking orders from tiny guys Adam Sandler and Chris Rock. I wouldn't call The Longest Yard a good movie, but it was a fun movie. And sometimes that's more important than being good. JJJj out of JJJJJ

No comments: