flickr

www.flickr.com

29 January, 2006

Tax Time

I really don't like filing income tax returns. I skipped a year, back in the 90's, when I only made like $1000 and would've gotten a little refund. It was just more trouble than it was worth. When they owe you money, the IRS hardly knocks down your door! Scott is intimidated by the whole process, so I have been deemed the official filer of the family.

Last year, I owed a lot of money, and Scott got a lot back, so we filed jointly and ended up with a whopping $63 refund. This year, since I didn't owe too much, I filed us separately so that he could actually get the refund to pay off a credit card or two. (since those dang student loans eat up any money with my SSN associated with it)

You know what really stinks about filing income taxes? I finally got used to writing 2006 on all of my paperwork, and then I had to write 2005 on the tax stuff. Now that that's all over with, I'll have to re-adjust to 2006. oy!

2 comments:

Janette said...

I'm the designated tax official in our household. When we owned our own business I had to learn A LOT about taxes and doing them would literally take days. I would be a caffiene and sleep deprived mess the entire time. Now I don't mind the process at all because it seems so simple and takes a minute amount of time.

Tell Scott it could be worse!

Anonymous said...

Marriage is great for that delegating thing. It's so nice to have back-up! I forgot about that! In 2005 I was self employed, which automatically puts me in the 50% tax bracket ... so Joanne told me to be meticulous in my record keeping. I'll have to see how I did. Her first year she owed about $6000! Had to get a loan!