Well, we are at that time of year when Scott has all the computer time he wants on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, because my eyes are glued to the TV. It's American Idol's Season 5. It's too early to pick my winner, but I do want to go out on a limb to name my 6 picks for female finalists:
* Paris Bennett - the 17-year-old with the tiny sweet speaking voice, and HUGE singing genes. I worry that song selection may ultimately do her in (like Anwar from AI4), but her Midnight Train to Georgia tonight was spectacular.
* Kellie Pickler - she has humble roots (daddy in prison, raised by her grandfather) and southern charm, and she's got the Miss Congeniality award in the bag. Plus, she's the only one tonight who admitted being nervous. Likeability carries her into the top 6 girls.
* Lisa Tucker - the other 17-year-old the judges go ga ga for. She's like Whitney, before the drugs and wife-beating.
* Mandisa - she's got a big butt and an even bigger voice. And she's got enough pre-vote buzz to carry her into the finals.
* Who needs Idol? Not Ayla Brown! Besides having the coolest name in the competition, she's already got a scholarship to play basketball at Boston College.
* Katharine McPhee (no relation to Nanny) had a built-in voice coach growing up: her mother. Simon proclaimed hers the best performance of the night, and I'm sure she'll still be around for the finals.
I know that most of my readers don't care about Idol, and I thank you in advance for sticking with me through the deluge of posts to come over the next few months. Watch the show... then at least you'll know who I'm talking about!