flickr

www.flickr.com

19 February, 2006

Leaving With a Bang

One of the other Help Desk girls walked into work today, stayed about 15 minutes, took a Release of Shift (left without permission), handed in her ID and quit. Apparently she and her husband have been planning to move back up north for a while. They sold their house and had a big check and they were in a big hurry to get it into a bank in Ohio. So they left. Anyway, only a few people knew that they were even selling the house, and no one expected her to just quit with no notice -- no card, no going away party, not even a goodbye e-mail. A very strange way to go!

Speaking of very strange, I had a guy call today saying that he booked with Car Rental Company A, even though Company B would've been cheaper, because they were "our" official rental car company. He reserved a 7-passenger minivan (by the way, he's driving this rental car from his home down here one-way... don't ask me why), but the company only had a station wagon. Because all of his luggage and their stroller wouldn't fit, he suggested that I comp. him a stroller for the 8 days he's here. I suggested he go to Wal Mart and buy a $10 umbrella stroller instead. He didn't really like that response too much, so I connected him to the front desk of the hotel he'll be staying at because he thought the $80 for stroller rental should be taken off of his room rate. I only hope the person at the front desk managed to hold in their laughter until the end of the phone call!

The only reason I was answering calls tonight at all is because one of our less competent managers switched my scheduled duties around. When I walked in today, she told me she moved me. Rather than ask why (I knew why... but the other managers at least ask for input before they screw with us), I rolled my eyes, said "ok," and went to get my headset. And then I called Scott and told him how pissed off I was. Had this manager been one of our night managers tonight, I would've taken an ROS after everyone else's lunches. But since she left at 5, I decided to stay. Really, it's not that I have a problem with authority. I have a problem with managers who need me to do all of my job and part of theirs because they just don't understand what's going on in the big bad world around them. She really doesn't have a feel for the operation, which shocks me because she's been there forever. Or maybe she just plays dumb to get others to bear the brunt of the work load.

Anyway, I should probably learn to hide my lack of respect a little better. But for now, I'm off to take some anti-cranky remedy (Tums and a glass of water) and go to bed.

2 comments:

Janette said...

That's your anti-cranky remedy? Well, I've never tried it but I'm willing to give it a shot. Will I suffer any ill effects from taking that every single night before bed?

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

Well, lack of calcium contributes to PMS *and* cramps...and sour stomach can also contribute to a bad mood...

plus, it's tums - you can take them every night and they won't hurt you. :o)